Friday, July 15, 2005

Artist statement

I received by BFA in Art with an emphasis in Graphic Design from Dana College in 2001. While there I took two semesters of ceramics with Tom Hubbel and fell in love with the process of turning earth into form and beauty. After pursuing a career in Graphic Design, I decided a desk job wasn't for me. I needed to express my ideas in more active, "hands-on" ways. I took a job as a letterpress printer, which I still have and enjoy because of its tactile qualities, but it still wasn't enough of a creative outlet.

I had met Tony Winchester at the Cambridge Pottery Festival in 2002, and I knew he lived close, so I asked him if he needed an apprentice. He said yes, and I worked for him for six months. I now work out of my home, and having recently completed my wood-fired kiln, I am now a self-sustained potter.

The work I do is an extension of my fascination with the process of pottery. I embrace the unexpected. Simplicity of form and decoration is important to me. I create one-of-a-kind functional and non-functional pieces designed to be both visually pleasing and useful in daily life, while creating a cohesive body of work. I also try to be as environmentally responsible as possible, using waste-wood for fuel, and a minimal amount of electricity in the studio.

When I called Tony three years ago, I wasn't sure if the draw I felt toward pottery was anything more than a passing phase, but I still find my thirst for the pottery process continues to grow. I don't know where it's taking me, but I hope my pottery reflects my enjoyment of the ride.

No comments: